My thoughts on routine newborn care all start with the premise: “don’t start anything you don’t want to do forever!”
Routine Newborn Care Tips :
- Average feeding time is 20-30 minutes. If it takes too long the baby uses more calories than they consume.
- As a newborn, always put your infant to bed awake. If they are taught to go to bed awake as infants, they will quickly learn to return to sleep if they wake up throughout the night. If they’re having trouble at first, pat or rub their back until they calm down. The idea is to wait till they cry before picking them up and comforting them before putting them back to bed.
- Babies need routine in their life, it makes them trust you and be secure. Keeping a baby on a schedule will make their life easier and your life better.
- Reading to a baby is a good way to calm them and spend quality time with them.
- Bath time is a wonderful time to spend with your baby; it can be a soothing and calming experience for both of you. Consider dimming the lights and playing some soothing music. Make sure they aren’t hungry, but feed them after they’ve had a bath. Bathe your baby 30 minutes before feeding time, especially in the evening.
- Babies like to change their position, please don’t confine them in a car seat or swing for long periods of time. Exception being if they have reflux, then the less you move them the better.
- Babies like to see other people and hear happy sounds. Try to let them spend time with the family or with you while you’re doing household chores. Try to have music playing, all kinds of music.
- It is not recommended to use Baby Powder on babies.
- Offer lots of hugs, smiles, snuggling and sweet talking, we all can use a lot of these things.
These are the basic but essential elements of routine newborn care. These are things that a new mother could think about on a daily basis. Once everything is in order and on time, the new mother will become accustomed to the Infant’s daily schedule.