10 Genius Hacks to Get Baby Things for Free
Baby essentials are costly. They range anywhere from a few thousand dollars to hundreds of thousands, depending on the brand and quantity of your purchase. If you’re trying to save some bucks on baby things, know that it’s possible with the right know-how and effort.
This article will discuss some tips on getting baby things for free.
Get free diapers
A child can use more than 2,700 diapers a year, which would add up to $550 if based on an average price of $0.20 per disposable diaper. You can get free samples of diapers if you do any or all of the following:
- Sign up as a member at the websites of Huggies, Pampers, Luvs and GoodNites. They might send you some free diapers. Otherwise, you can use coupons to get diapers at discounted rates.
- Sign up in special clubs at local clinics and hospital. These places often have free diapers on hand and they’ll be willing to give you some for free if you have signed up.
- Combine coupons and sales at your local stores.
- Get diapers as rewards. You can get free diapers from Huggies Rewards and Pampers Gifts. Simply read the mechanics to get baby things for free.
- Get in touch with the National Diaper Bank Network, which helps to provide low-income families with free diapers.
Expert tip: if you don’t get free diapers mailed to you, pick up the phone and call their customer service. Tell them that you’re thinking about switching diaper brands, and you want to try theirs. Diaper companies love to hear this line and they might be more than pleased to send you some!
Get free baby formula
Of course, breastmilk is always best for babies but if you are unable to breastfeed your little ones, then here’s how you can get baby formula for free.
- Request free samples from online companies like Enfamil, Similac and Nestle Baby. These companies offer free samples with the hopes that you’ll like them and will ultimately buy them.
- Register with companies that make baby formula to get free samples and coupons. It may also be a good idea to follow these following companies on social media, where promotions and freebies are announced: Enfamil, Similac, Gerber, Parent’s Choice, Member’s Mark and Nature’s One.
- If you qualify as low-income, you can get free baby formula through the Women, Infants and Children (WIC) program.
- Contact your local food bank. Yes, your local food bank might have baby formula to give for free if you only ask.
Get free stuff with coupons
Apparently, those coupons that you have carefully selected can get you lots of free stuff. If you are new at couponing, then the best place to start checking would be the Sunday newspaper.
Online coupons are also available these days. Online baby stores sometimes give out coupon codes that you can use to snag baby things for free or for discounted rates.
Check Freecycle and/or similar groups
Freecycle is a place where people post things that they don’t want to use anymore. Yes, we are talking about preloved but well-loved items here. At Freecycle, people are basically giving away their things for free because they don’t want to deal with the hassles of selling.
There are also similar pages on Facebook like Free Baby Things that has over five thousand members.
Check buy and sell websites like Craigslist
If there’s stuff that you want but isn’t free, then monitor that item. If it’s been listed for a while now but isn’t selling, then contact the seller and see if you can get that item for free in exchange for a review. Sometimes when you’re lucky, you might just get a YES!
Have a baby shower but with a ready list of gift registry
Baby showers are excellent opportunities to get baby things for free! Convince a close friend or family member to throw a baby shower for you. They’ll surely agree because they want to celebrate this happy time with you.
Sometimes, though, your baby shower gifts could be hand-me-downs and as long as they’re in excellent condition, accept them!
Make a baby registry
Baby registries in Target, Babies R Us and Walmart are popular because they frequently offer free baby things or gift cards.
Yes, trading things still exist today! You can trade your baby or kid things with friends or with strangers. You can join groups to make this happen. Trading gives you the opportunity to get rid of things you don’t need and get your hands on things you do need.
Ask for free baby things before a garage sale closes
When families hold garage sales, it means they are trying to get rid of the things they don’t need. You can take advantage of this fact by visiting garage sales before they close. Ask them if you can have the baby stuff that didn’t sell because chances are high that you’ll get a yes.
Get free subscriptions to magazines
Mothers, especially first-timers, are eager to get their hands on baby-related reading material to prepare them for parenting. Magazines and e-magazines may also carry discounts and coupons, depending on the companies they’ve partnered with. Baby Care Weekly is an e-magazine that offers parenting tips and information, along with freebies and discounts.
But Free Doesn’t Last Forever!
While you are saving a huge amount by getting baby things for free, the opportunity might not always be there. Therefore, it is important that you also know where to get discounted but good quality baby things. You can sign up as a member of discount sites like Online Product Deals, and the like.
Way to go, smart momma!